December 2014 Meeting Minutes, Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild
Blog Posts – We're always looking for members willing to help
keep our blog fresh. Many thanks to those who continue to volunteer to help keep this up! Please sign up with Carrie if you'd like to write a short post. Any topic will do!
2015 Spring In-Town Retreat-- will be held on April 11-12,
2015 at Millie P's in downtown Anoka. Hours of the retreat are Saturday,
9 AM to Midnight and Sunday 9 AM to 7 PM. Additional details will be
available on the blog after the New Year.
Get Inspired Challenge-- The spring challenge is "Get
Inspired". Simply make something and share with us your source of
inspiration. The reveal will be at the April meeting and participants
should bring in their finished project with the original source of
inspiration (or photo of). No other rules or restrictions.
The meeting was held on Thursday, December 18, 2014 at the Textile Center at 7 PM. The meeting is the Guild's holiday social with great food, drinks, and company. This year also featured a Secret Santa fabric Swap. Based on the lovely fabrics that were given, it appears that all Minneapolis Quilt Guild members were on Santa's nice list ;)Announcements:
- 2015 Quilting Bees-- in 2015 there will be optional quilting bees to join in place of the block lotto or mystery quilt for the monthly guild activity. There are two levels, beginner and advanced. Kristin is organizing the groups according to what everyone signed up for and has sent out an email to all participants with instructions.
- Next Meeting-- Thursday, January 15, 2015, 7 PM Textile Center. Agenda items include the Mystery Quilt reveal and Board nominations. Board elections will occur at the February meeting with the new terms starting in March.
- Lee Heinrich Trunk Show and Workshop-- The Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild received a grant from MQ to help offset the cost of bringing in a guest speaker and instructor for an event. Lee Heinrich, co-author of Vintage Quilt Revival and blogger at Freshly Pieced, will be here as a result of the grant. There will be two opportunities to meet Lee:
- Friday, January 30, 7-9 PM, Textile Center-- Trunk show and reception. Free for Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild members, $5 for non-members/guests.
- Saturday, January 31, 10 AM-4 PM, Textile Center-- Advanced Piecing workshop. $40 for Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild members, $50 for non-members. A copy of "Vintage Quilt Revival" is required for the class. Class description: Why should modern quilters learn to make traditional blocks? Because they're like piecing bootcamp, perfect for honing your technique and increasing your accuracy, no matter what type of quilting you love! In this workshop, take your piecing skills to the next level and sew more complex designs, with advanced techniques such as foundation paper-piecing, piecing with traditional templates, and partial seams. We'll spend the day making several of the blocks from Lee's book, "Vintage Quilt Revival: 22 Modern Designs from Classic Blocks." Students will leave with a good start on a sampler quilt from the book, plus the skills to complete the rest!
- Registration for the Advanced Piecing Workshop will open to Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild members via an email sent to current members on January 1st. Class limit is 25.
Show and Tell:
|Vivien-- Pattern by Weeks Ringle|
|Kristin-- Pattern by alittlecrispy.com|
|Amanda Jean-- crazymomquilts|
|Kellye-- Divided Basket by Noodlehead|
|Kellye-- Molly Market Tote|
|Kellye-- Carpetbagger bag|
|Colby-- Tree Skirt|
|Colby-- Star Runner|
|Colby-- Chain Link Quilt|
|Mary-- Scrappy Trip|
|Karen C.-- Jewel Quilt|
|Karen C.--Bird Quilt|