The meeting was held on Thursday, November 20, 2014 at the Textile Center at 7 PM. Below is a summary of the meeting.Announcements:
- Next Meeting-- Thursday, December 18, 7 PM Textile Center. This meeting is the annual holiday social and pot luck. There is a sign up sheet for food and drinks to make sure we have a balance of items. If you didn't get a chance to sign up and will be there, send an email to the board (minneapolismqg [at] gmail [dot] com). We will also be having a "secret santa" fabric swap. Sign ups for the secret santa were sent out after the meeting with instructions. If you signed up for the secret santa and cannot attend in December, please make arrangements to get your fabric gift to the meeting.
- Show and Tell Sign Up Sheet-- We're asking everyone to sign up for show and tell at the meeting to make sure that we can keep track of it all for the photos on Flickr and in the minutes. It also gives you the chance to note if the quilt/item is from a specific pattern or tutorial that others might be interested in.
- Blog Posts – We're always looking for members willing to help keep our blog fresh. This quarter's Saturday Series is Holiday Gifts. Please sign up if you have ideas for holiday gifts or favorite tutorials to share.
- 2015 Board Nominations – The board begins a new term starting in March of 2015. Nominations will be at the January meeting with elections for all board positions in February. The Vice President position will be vacant in 2015 since Vanessa's term is expired. If anyone is interested in serving on the board, please contact an existing board member. The board is happy to answer any questions you may have about time commitment, duties, etc. The guild by-laws can be found here.
- 2015 Spring In-Town Retreat-- will be held on April 11-12, 2015 at Millie P's in downtown Anoka. Hours of the retreat are Saturday, 9 AM to Midnight and Sunday 9 AM to 7 PM. Additional details will be available on the blog after the New Year.
- January 2015 Meeting -- Main agenda items include the 2014 Mystery Quilt reveal and Board nominations.
- Lee Heinrich Trunk Show and Workshop-- The Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild received a grant from MQ to help offset the cost of bringing in a guest speaker and instructor for an event. Lee Heinrich, co-author of Vintage Quilt Revival and blogger at Freshly Pieced, will be here as a result of the grant. There will be two opportunities to meet Lee:
- Friday, January 30, 7-9 PM, Textile Center-- Trunk show and reception. Free for Mpls. MQG members, $5 for non-members.
- Saturday, January 31, 10 AM-4 PM, Textile Center-- Advanced Piecing workshop/class. Details on cost and materials are forthcoming. A copy of Vintage Quilt Revival is a class requirement, so you may want to put that on your holiday wish- list if you don't own it already (several libraries in the area also have this).
Sue Heinz of Kismet Quilting gave an excellent demonstration titled “You’ve got a friend in Elmer”. Sue showed us the many ways that we can use Elmer's white school glue in our quilting to get accurate seams, professional looking binding, and more.
|Carrie-- Marketplace India Charity Quilt|
|Carrie -- place mat pattern from fatquarterly.com|
|Colby-- Modern Stripes MQG website (going to QuiltCon!)|
|Colby-- wonky triangles (going to QuiltCon!)|
|Colby- whole cloth quilt|
|Kristin L.-- A Little Crispy|
|Kristin L. --A Little Crispy|
|Kristin L.-- A Little Crispy|
|Chris C.-- Marketplace India Charity Quilt|
|Karen C. -- Glad Creations Row Quilt, Gracies Favorite|
|Rozina D. --cockatoo pattern by Quiet Play|
|Kellye-- Lantern Strings|
|Erin--St. Louis 16-patch in catnap fabric|
|Tiki-- Disappearing 9-patch|
|Amanda Jean--You Can't Rush Art, Crazy Mom Quilts|