- Flaun, past MMQG President will sadly be leaving us in June for a new adventure in Australia. There will be a going away happy hour in her honor on Wednesday, May 21 at CRAVE in the West End (St. Louis Park) at 5:30 PM. Please stop by, have a drink and/or a bite to eat and bid Flaun farewell. We hope she will stay in touch and let us know what the quilting scene is like down under on her blog, I Plead Quilty!
- The Minnesota Quilters Show is June 12-14 in St. Cloud. Kristin provided a great overview of the show on the MMQG blog. Elizabeth Dackson's Saturday class has been cancelled so there will not be a trunk show for the MMQG as previously discussed. Her Thursday and Friday classes still have space available and are offered to MMQG members at a rate of $50. Message Kristin L. for more information on the special rate.
- The MMQG will be hosting an in-town retreat September 27-28 at Four Seasons Quilts in Maple Grove. An in-town retreat provides space for sewing all weekend without overnight accommodations (i.e. you get to go home and sleep in your own bed!). The sewing space is secure so you can leave machines and projects set up and come and go as you please. This is offered in addition to our regular out of town retreat in November, giving members the option to do one or both retreats. More info, including pricing and how to register is on the MMQG blog.
- We now have a sign-up sheet for those that want to bring snacks or beverages to future meetings. Rebecca L. has kindly brought treats for the past several months on her own, but we'd like to give Rebecca a break and share the snack responsibility among the group. If you didn't sign up at the meeting and are interested in participating for future meetings message Rebecca on Facebook or send an email to the guild (minneapolismqg [at] gmail [dot] com).
Brianne presented on the new and improved format for the MMQG garage sale that will be held at our August 14th meeting. She and Erin have done a great job to organize this. The main details are summarized below and there will be a blog post soon with more information.
- Members can sell any quilting/sewing related item (fabric, books, notions, scrap bags, patterns)
- Label each item with your name, description, and price. If fabric, include yardage/size. Please use tags since stickers tend to fall off easily.
- There is a spreadsheet for each seller to fill out and submit via email with their items. This will help track payment after the sale.
- Drop off items before the sale (June/July meetings, or May sew-in).
- Sellers will recieve payment at the September meeting. If payment is desired sooner, you can submit a self-addressed stamped envelope and the Guild will mail you a check once everything is tallied after the sale.
- The seller will get 75% of the proceeds with 25% going to the MMQG. Sellers can choose to donate 100% of the proceeds to the guild for certain items. The garage sale is one of the ways the Guild raises funds for the group in an effort to keep membership dues lower while also being able to pay for meeting space, workshops, and speakers.
- Unsold items will be returned at the September meeting. Sellers also have the option to donate unsold items to Goodwill or for use as future two-bit bags.
- If you're not selling, bring cash to the August meeting and be ready to shop!
|Jan's Memory quilt made for her mother|
Carrie presented an opportunity to sew a quilt that will be auctioned off as a fundraiser for Marketplace India, a non-profit organization that supports women and artist coops in Mumbai. The organization will provide the fabric. If you are interested in sewing a block for the quilt, contact Carrie or email the MMQG. Carrie will also send out a sign-up on Facebook.
Textile Center Exhibit
The textile center has asked the MMQG to put together an exhibit that will be showcased in the library gallery from June 17 to July 12. This is an exciting opportunity to showcase our work!! The space is very limited and we think there is room for 3 larger quilts (appx 60" wide), 3-4 smaller quilts (crib size) and a lot of shelves and display case space for smaller items like pillows, bags, table runners, small quilts and other pieced items. Depending on the amount of items received, we will have a lottery to determine what pieces will be submitted. This is an informal show, but please note that The Textile Center will have final say on what will be accepted. If you would like to have one of your quilts or wall hangings displayed, you MUST sew a hanging sleeve to the back of your quilt AND also supply a wooden dowel with small holes drilled into each end so they can wire the dowel and hang the quilt. They requested that the sleeve NOT extend past either edge of the quilt -- the sleeve should end an inch or two before the edge so the dowel is hidden behind it while hanging. There are a number of YouTube tutorials on how to do this and it is very easy to do. All items must be delivered together by June 6th. Message Tracy on Facebook or email the Guild with questions.
Meeting Date Changes (PLEASE READ THIS!!)
The Textile Center has asked us to change our regularly scheduled meeting date due to the large size of our group and the Weaver's Guild that also meets on the same evening. Hopefully this will mean better parking and an easier time hearing each other during the meeting. Starting in September, the MMQG will meet the THIRD Thursday of the month. Same time and location (7 PM with social hour before at the Textile Center). There are other changes to the summer schedule that are unrelated to the move (just to make things extra confusing). Please read below and update your calendars accordingly:
- June 19th, Textile Center (There is a big show opening on our regularly scheduled meeting date that will take up the entire Center)
- July 10th at the St. Lawrence Catholic Church and Newman Center in SE Minneapolis near the UofM campus. We are having a joint meeting with the Minnesota Quilters where Amanda Jean Nyberg will give a presentation on Modern Quilting. They would like us to bring lots of show and tell!
- August 14th, Textile Center for the second annual MMQG Garage Sale!
- September 18th at the Textile Center Meetings will be the Third Thursday of the month from this point forward.
Next Meeting—June 19, 2014 7-8:30 p.m. Textile Center of MN
Next Sew In—Sunday, May 25th, 12-5 p.m. at Roseville Public Library.
A crop of lovely coasters were made and swapped! Everyone seemed happy with their draw.
Show and Tell Photos
|Tracy's quilt back|
|Vanessa-- Monaluna Challenge|
|Annik-- Scrap Management Workshop project|
|Rozina's baby quilt|
|Rozina's quilt back|
|Maria quilt back|
|Maria's Grandmother's quilt block|
|Sharon-- Monaluna Challenge|
|Sharon quilt back|
|Karen's bag made from the charm pack she won last month|
|Colby's quilt back|
|Rebecca's cat quilt|
|Rebecca's ironing mat|
|Erin's quilt back|
Submitted by Gina M. May 20, 2014