March 2014 Meeting Minutes, Minneapolis Modern Quilt GuildThe meeting was held on March 13, 2014 at the Textile Center at 7 PM. Below is a summary of the meeting.
March is the annual membership renewal meeting. New and renewing members who signed up at the meeting received a welcome package with information about the MMQG as well as fun surprises including a batting sampler, pin sampler, mini charm pack, glue bottle (based on Mary’s 10 minute tip from last year), and fat quarters donated by Lisa of Fresh Stash, and Faye of Twin Cities Quilting. Welcome packages are only available to those who join while supplies last. 27 members joined or renewed at the meeting! Welcome new and returning members!
March is the first meeting of the new Board. Positions are:
- Tracy W., President
- Vanessa L., Vice President
- Kristin L., Treasurer
- Carrie F., Web Coordinator
- Gina M., Secretary
Thanks to Flaun and Lisa T. for their past service on the MMQG Board!
- New members are encouraged to complete a Member Spotlight for the blog. There is a standard questionnaire and it doesn’t take long to complete. It’s a great way for members to learn a bit about each other. Those who are interested should contact Chris or send an email to the general MMQG email (minneapolismqg [at] gmail [dot] com.). No blogging experience or technical skills necessary-- Chris and Carrie are very helpful and make it extremely easy.
- The results of the member survey were briefly discussed. Feedback was generally positive and will be used by the Board to plan future meetings, activities, and swaps. Members are encouraged to email the guild or contact individual board members with additional suggestions/ideas.
- Committees are needed to help the guild achieve many of the suggestions identified in the survey. If you would like to volunteer for a committee, please contact the Board and/or note your committee choice on your membership form.
- We have a new business member, the Madeline Island School of the Arts. You’ll notice their logo is now on the MMQG blog and there may be blog posts in the future. They offer multi-day quilt workshops in the beautiful setting of Madeline Island.
- If members are interested in holding another garage sale, we are looking for volunteers to plan and organize the event. Last year members brought items to a regular meeting and members “shopped” before the meeting and during the break. All proceeds went to the guild and leftover items were donated to charity. One suggested change is to allow members who sell items to keep a portion of the sale with a set percentage going back to the guild.
- The MN Quilters are having their annual show June 12-14 in St. Cloud. Elizabeth Dackson who blogs at Don’t Call Me Betsy and wrote Becoming a Confident Quilter will be teaching 3 classes. She has agreed to host a trunk show for the MMQG on Saturday June 14. The guild will coordinate carpools that day for those that want to attend the quilt show and trunk show. Additional details to come.
Next Meeting—April 10, 2014 7-8:30 p.m. Textile Center of MN
- Business member, Fresh Stash Fabric, will be vending at the meeting.
Next Social—March 26th, 6:30 p.m. at Common Roots.
Next Challenge—“Quilt Outside the Line”-- June 12 RevealMany of us stay within the comfort zone of using coordinating fabrics from one fabric line. This challenge simply asks participants to make a project that mixes things up by using fabrics from more than one fabric line or designer. If that is not a challenge for you, feel free to self-interpret and bring a project that pushes your boundaries in some other way.
February Love Swap RevealMMQG participated in a “Love” swap with the NYC Metro Mod Quilters in February. Our LOVEly quilts arrived from NY and were handed out by Flaun. Individual quilt photos are on the MMQG Flickr page.
Monaluna Challenge RevealMembers who participated in the Monaluna “challenge yourself challenge” revealed their projects and showcased some very impressive skills! Lisa will be doing a full recap of the challenge on an upcoming blog post, so stay tuned. Photos are up on the MMQG Flickr page.
Show and TellMembers and guests had many inspiring finishes to show. Perhaps a sign of a very long winter?!
|Rozina volunteered to quilt up our "extra" blocks from last year's Madrona Road Challenge, Thanks Rozina for taking that on!|
Notes Submitted by Gina M. 3-24-14