1. Jen Madsen of Stitch Simple and Josie Severson of Home Fashion Fabrics gave a presentation on their businesses, the numerous benefits of using of organic fabrics, what it takes to produce organic fabrics and the small business fabric design and production process.
2. We covered a number of business issues as follows --
- Announced the Guild's New Board Members effective March 2014:
- President - Tracy Westhoff
- Vice President - Vanessa Audette
- Treasurer - Kristin Lawson
- Secretary - Gina Mitteco
- Web Coordinator - Carrie Federer
- Guild Banner Blocks - We are still accepting 6 1/2" unfinished blocks in brights and whites for our Mpls Modern Quilt Guild Banner Project
- Fiber Name Tags -- Please consider making your own fiber name tag to wear at meetings. We have so many new members this year that it's hard to remember everyone and a name tag makes it easier to meet and greet each other. To motivate you, we will hold a drawing for a sweet door prize at each meeting that everyone wearing a fiber name tag will be entered in.
- Garage Sale Coordinator -- We are looking for a volunteer or two (or more!) to coordinate our 2014 Guild Garage Sale. We dedicate one meeting a year to hold a garage sale for members (and hopefully the public) to come and purchase things that guild members donate for sale. Proceeds from the sale go to the Guild to help cover our operating expenses. Please contact anyone on the board if you are interested in helping coordinate this event.
- Spring Retreat -- We have been invited again this year to join the MN Contemporary Quilters at Camp Wapogassett just outside of Amery, WI on March 28-31 for their Spring Retreat. You can stay 2 nights for $145 or 3 nights for $160 (NOTE: we pay their non-member prices -- unless you are also a member of MNCQ). The price includes lodging plus linens, meals and a big beautiful workspace. Just click the link above to get all the details and registration form.
- NYMQG Mini Quilt Swap Reveal - Revealed our Love quilts for the New York Modern Quilt Guild swap. Those who participated knocked it out of the park and we have the pictures to prove it!
- March 13th Meeting Agenda:
- Annual Renewal Meeting. Please print off the membership form or the business membership form and bring your check payable to "Mpls Modern Quilt Guild" to this meeting to renew your individual or business annual membership.
- MplsMQG Brights and Whites Banner Blocks -- If you haven't already, please consider making a 6 1/2" unfinished block from whites and brights for our Banner project
- We should have received the NYCMQG Love quilts from our Guild exchange and will display and distribute them to those who participated
- We will have the Monaluna Meadow Challenge Yourself reveal. If you haven't started yet (I might have overheard some people discussing this at the meeting), now would be a good time to start thinking about it!
- We will announce our next Guild Challenge project
April Meeting -- Mark Your Calendars for April 10th! Alyssa Thomas from Penguin and Fish will present a Trunk Show from her new book, "Sew and Stitch Embroidery". Please watch Facebook and the Blog for more information on this event.
Show and Tell:
Here are the February Show and Tell Pictures from our meeting:
This is from one of the block lottos from 2013!