We had a guest speaker, Kate Eelkema, who is a National Certified Quilt Judge. Kate reviewed how one becomes a certified judge, the judging process and what she is looking at when judging quilts.
She shared examples of different skills and techniques that she has learned in making quilts that have helped and hindered her when entering them into a competition.
She allowed us to share her color & design book resource list, which was part of her handout:
- A Fiber Artist's Guide to Color and Design (Heather Thomas)
- Adventures in Design (Joen Wolfrom)
- The Quilter's Book of Design (Ann Johnston)
- Color Works (Deb Menz)
- Color for Quilters II (Susan McKelvey)
- The Quilter's Color Club (Christine Barnes)
- The Visual Dance (Joen Wolfrom)
- Intuitive Color and Design (Jean Wells)
- Quiltmaker's Color Workshop (Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr)
- Design Basics (David D. Lauer)
- Design! A Lively Guide to Design Basics for Artists & Craftspeople (Steven Aimone)
- Color and Composition for the Creative Quilter (Katie Pasquini Masopust)
- Design Explorations for the Creative Quilter (Katie Pasquini Masopust)
- Line Color Form, The Language of Art and Design (Jesse Day)
- GO - A Kidd's Guide to Graphic Design (Chip Kidd)
- Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature (Joyce Sidman)
- A Book about Design: Complicated Doesn't Make it Good (Mark Gonyea)
- Picture This: How Pictures Work (Molly Bang)
Our February meeting, scheduled for Thursday, February 13th will have guest speakers Jen Madsen and Josi Severson from Home Fashion Fabrics talking about organic fabric design and production.
We reviewed some upcoming business:
1. February NY Mod Love Swap quilts are due. If you signed up to swap a 12" finished quilt, please bring it to the February meeting.
2. 6.5" unfinished quilt block (any block pattern) for our Guild Banner in brights and whites were due, but some people were unable to make it to the meeting and are bringing them to at the February meeting. Feel free to bring one ore more then if you haven't made one already!
3. Mystery Quilt Along has started. Please watch the blog each month for the new block directions. Here are past posts regarding fabric requirements and the January block pattern and instructions. It's never too late to join in on the fun!
4. Our next social is scheduled for 6:30pm on Wednesday, January 29th at Turtle Bread, 4762 Chicago Ave S, Minneapolis. Please join us for conversation, dinner if you wish and some hand-sewing if you want.
5. Amanda Jean's Scrap Management Workshop will be held on Saturday, February 8th from 10 to 4 at the Textile Center. Please check the MMQG Facebook page for more information and current registration availability.
6. Mark your Calendars: We have been invited to join the MN Contemporary Quilters again this year for their spring retreat, March 28-30th, at Camp Wapo in Amery WI. More information regarding registration and cost will be coming, so please watch Facebook..
7. The Monaluna Meadow Challenge Yourself reveal is scheduled for our March meeting
We finished the meeting with Show and Tell, which you can check out in our Flickr Pool!