Our July meeting was held at our new location, the Textile Center. It was great to see so many of you in attendance and we hope that more people will join us in the coming months.
Here is a brief overview of the July meeting:
1. Since we have a group membership at the Textile Center, all paid MMQG member have access to the Textile Library, which we were given a tour of. We also received individual library cards that we can use to check out books from the library. They have a one month check out period and have quite a nice selection of books, magazines and videos. They also treated us to cookies and lemonade (Rebecca brought a LARGE! chocolate cake as well).
2. Our 10-Minute Tip was done by Stephanie this month and she showed us how to make hexagon templates of any size by folding a paper circle in a pretty simple way. It was quite impressive and I'm sure we will have more information as well as her printed instructions on the blog in the near future.
3. Name Tag Swap - finished up the swap and hopefully everyone should have a name tag by the next meeting.
4. Take It With You Challenge is due at the September meeting. Remember, it just has to have some part of the finished piece that is hand sewn, embroidered, quilted, etc.
5. Quilt On A Stick (State Fair Challenge) is due by the August meeting. Review Lisa's recent blog post to find out all the information and additional links on this challenge.
6. Block Lotto Drawing - Chris C. was the winner this month. Be sure to watch Facebook and the blog for the next Lotto Block selection, tutorial and information.
7. Minnesota Contemporary Quilters is having their fall retreat September 6-9, 2013 at Camp Wapo and have again extended an invitation to all of us. The cost is $145 for 2 nights and $160 for 3 nights.
8. We are also hosting our own retreat which is scheduled for November 22-24, 2013 at Camp Wapo. A few of our members went to the MN Contemporary Quilters spring retreat and had such a great time, we decided to plan our own. Here is the blog post on the retreat with more information and the sign up form. We thought that hosting this retreat in late November would either help some of us start our holiday gift sewing or better yet, finish it. Please plan on joining us -- the more the merrier!
9. We had another successful Two-Bit Bag turn out with lots of great prizes. Thanks again to everyone who donated a prize as well as everyone who bought tickets.
10. Our next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, August 8th -- mark your calendars.
11. And as usual, Show and Tell was the show-stopper. Thanks to everyone for bringing in their work and showing it off.