1. Business Memberships are now available. Briefly, the cost is $90/year and will be prorated to $56 this year or an additional $32 to upgrade for current individual memberships. There are a number of additional benefits for Business Members. Please see the Members Only blog for more information.
2. Please consider signing up to do a blog post at least once per quarter. It's super easy and we are here to help anyone who has any questions.
3. Our Ten Minute Tip was given by Mary on how to use glue when sewing on binding. See her blog post here.
4. We had our monthly Block Lotto drawing and Rozina was the winner.
5. Spring Quilt Market Recap: Those who attend Quilt Market in Portland, Oregon shared what they saw and their take on current trends that we can expect to see in the coming months.
- Vanessa of Punkin Patterns had her most recent quilt pattern on display at the Monaluna booth. Watch her blog for the pattern release.
- Lots of embroidery was on display and is becoming very popular with the fabric designers
- Thread is very popular as well
- New blender fabrics were on display at many of the manufactures' booths
- Modern fabrics are really taking over the fabric industry which is bringing younger people into sewing, but making it more difficult for shop owners to find traditional quilting fabrics, which are still in demand.
- Jacquie Gehring from Tallgrass Prairie Studios, who is a board member of the Modern Quilt Guild (MQG), asked some of our MMQG members who were at quilt market, their thoughts on the MQG SewDown coming to Minneapolis in July 2014. Our members where pretty honest with her about our disappointed that they did not reach out to us prior to announcing the Minneapolis SewDown, the expense (rumored to be $750 for four days), and were they planning on offering a discount for local members who do not need to stay at the hotel. She appreciated the input and would bring up our concerns the next time she met with the MQG board.
- Take Along Challenge due September--make anything you would like that incorporates hand-sewing. Kristin passed out kits to those members in attendance that will help with your hand-sewing. Thanks again to Kristin for all the time and effort that she put into the kits.
- State Fair Quilt on a Stick - Theme: Tattoos and Body Adornment at the Fair. Get all the details here (see section #228)
8. We ended the meeting with Show and Tell. Check out the photos:
We got a couple of quilts done to send to Oklahoma, by Rita
and Chris C
Mary hand quilted this king size quilt.
Batik loveliness created by Rita
Rozina's polka dot sensation (made quickly)
Rozina's community quilt (made slowly, hand quilted, including blocks by many others)
Back of community quilt.
MaryAnn's cookie exchange reveal,
and some funkiness :-)
Kristin S's first results from a sew-along she is doing with Patchwork Plus