Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild
September Meeting 2016
- New Members Review and Visitors
- Announcements (10 min)
- Membership - 58 members
- More information here
- $40 annually
- $5 per meeting for non-members or non-visitors
Date of next meeting: Thursday, October 20
- Hand Quilting lecture by Cheri Merritt of Glad Creations
- Launch of Crayon Challenge
- Will draw up to 3 crayons
- Can add one fabric
- Due in 2017 - TBD
- Charity Sew-ins
- Sept 25 - Penn Lake Library 12-5
Millie P’s Retreat
- Friday September 30 - Sunday October 2
- $10 per person, per day. Come for 1, 2, or 3 days.
- Friday-Saturday - 9a-midnight
- Sunday 9a-7p
Registration online now. Plenty of open spots.
Registration will close on Monday, Sept 26th
Jill will email out information to participants regarding meals, parking, etc. the week before the retreat.
Wapo Retreat - Nov 18-20
- Signups coming soon
- Registration is open
- Registration open: July 1st – Nov. 30th., 2016
- Notification by: December 30, 2016
- Cost to enter: $30 per 3 quilts
Updated Nine-Patch Challenge - due 11/30. See MQG’s Facebook page for information.
MQG - Block of the Month Design Challenge, Swap, & Quilt Book Submissions - see their website for details on submitting.
Dakota County Star Quilters partnership - Kathy Lindstrom
- Modern Vintage Quilt Show - MMQG invited to participate!
- Feb 11 show set up
- Feb 14 show starts
- Mar 18 show take down
Mary Fons lecture / workshop - Mar 11
- MMQG can register before general public
- Sale of fabric, patterns, small goods, etc.
- Small quilt (under 80” in perimeter) auction
- Taking the quilts the first week of February
Committee Updates (if applicable)
- Charity Committee (Jan)
- Orlando MQG Quilt Drive (Bright Hearts)- due August 15th
- #Quiltsforpeace (Blue Hearts)- due September meeting
- Philando Castille blocks (HRT With a Twist)- due August meeting
- Lap Quilt Charity Request - Goal 10 quilts, dimensions to come
- Quilt kits available
- 9 patches - always needed
- Low volume plus blocks - always needed
- Always need donations of scraps/batting/blocks
- Welcome/Hospitality (Kara)
- Speakers/Programs (Jill)
- Denyse Schmidt -
- Pure Improv Workshop with the MMQG on Sat, April 1, 2017
- 20 spots are full - wait list started
St Cloud Heritage Quilters workshop on Friday, 3/31. Karen Cyson will share registration details as they become available.
Contemporary Quilters one hour lecture on Thursday, 3/30 in the evening at the Textile Center. More details to come.
- Email newsletter is back up
Financial Update (Andrea - running late but should be at meeting in time for this)
- Total Guild funds as of today - $5,006
- 2016 Guild Income - $6,452
- Includes membership fees, two bit bag income, garage sale income, workshop/retreat funds collected
2016 Guild Meeting Expenses (so far) - $2,706 (if questions, below are the bulk of our expenses for the year)
- $1,741 per year just to the Textile Center = 44 paid members needed
- $494 for swag bag production
- $471 other misc (tablet, projector, charity supplies)
2016 Workshop/Speaker Expenses - $4,433. This includes Heidi Parkes, Amanda Jean and full estimated payment for Denyse’s 2017 workshop. (If questions, below are more details.)
- Guild contributed almost $700 to fund workshops that have not reached full attendance.
- Guild has paid another $275 to fund two speakers to speak for free at monthly meetings.
- The Textile Center now charges $280 for full day rental of workshop space.
Difference between expenses and income = +$533 if you exclude what will be paid to Denyse in 2017
Show and Tell (20 min)
- 10 minutes each session, 2 minutes to rotate
- Big Stitching
- Modern Mending
- Bias Binding