- Lisa brought in a guest speaker for our 10 Minute Tip on Stretching which was great!
- Please consider signing up to write a blog post. If we each posted once a quarter that would be great! Kristin is your contact for more information on how simple it is to write a blog post and post it. (minneapolismqg [at] gmail [dot] com).
- Please let Flaun know your favorite fabric shop. She is giving a talk on "What is Modern Quilting" at the Minnesota Contemporary Quilters (MCQ) on May 20th and they are interested in learning where we buy our fabric. Both brick and mortar and/or online are welcome. Shoot her an email or Facebook message.
- We announced our first retreat which is scheduled for this November 22-24 at Camp Wapo in Amery, WI. The cost is $135 for members and $145 for non-members. Read the Retreat page, which includes a sign-up sheet. We will have more information on the retreat throughout the summer along.
- Our next Social is scheduled for Wednesday, May 22nd at 6pm at Common Roots. This is very casual and open for you to come and go at your leisure. We meet in the back room and you can order food and/or drink. Bring something to sew or just come and socialize.
- We are hosting a Sew-B-Q at Lisa's house on June 1st from 11-4. Please bring something to grill as well as something to share. We will supply a variety of drinks and all paper products. Bring your sewing machine for some outside sewing and you can also do some fabric shopping at Lisa's fabric studio, PixieSpit/Fresh Stash. Go to the Members section of the blog and get all the details
- MN Quilt Show: The show this year will be held in Duluth. Kristin is going to make a round trip on Saturday, June 15th to Duluth. She will have her van and if anyone interested in carpooling with her, please send her an email or Facebook message for more information.
- We held the following swaps/drawing: Name tag swap, the April block lotto drawing and the May block 'cookie' block exchange (lots of stuff since the April meeting was cancelled).
- The June block lotto is curved piecing. See it on the Block Lotto page. Watch for it and give it a try.
- We announced our Summer Challenge..."Take it with you". [Blog post] Make anything you like with some handwork incorporated in it. You can knit, embroider, hand quilt, hand sew, etc. It can be all handwork or have partial handwork incorporated in it. At our next meeting we hope to have a small hand sewing kit to pass out to everyone who is going to participate. Please note that just some of the project has to have hand work, not the entire thing (some or a lot of machine sewing is allowed). We will reveal our projects at our September meeting.
- We hosted our first Garage Sale and it was a great success. We raised $147 and want to thank everyone for donating AND buying.
- Our next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 13th at Sewtropolis. Social Hour starts at 6, meeting starts at 6:30 and we should end around 8pm.
- Show and Tell projects where shared and as usual, they were awesome!
Annik had a very early guild challenge show and tell (polka dot swap from 2010). It is NEVER too late to bring a show and tell!
And while we are on challenges, Rozina returned with a completed project from the February block lotto, finished quilt titled "green monster." Many oohs and ahs heard around the room on this layout and quilting.
We had several seriously productive members in the past couple months:
two of Colby's recent projects
Deb brought in a string of delightful projects....with extra fun!
We learned Deb likes buttons....
and owls (hidden inside the zippered tree)
Nancy had quite the collection of show and tell projects too!
This one from Tracy features strips of fabric she used to square up the blocks, nice improvisation and super cute!
Okay, all these beauties remind me I need to get going on some of my projects so I can have something for show and tell next month. Happy creating!